So many people today seem to be looking for the truth. They are looking for it in the halls of education, from the government, from the media, even from religion. Many people really do not want to hear the truth, because the truth hurts, and it may or not fit what you choose to believe. However, The truth is the truth, no matter what you may believe. The truth is found in God’s Word, the Bible, and If you are brave, you should take the time to examine yourself by God’s truth.
The truth about mankind is this: Mankind is dead in trespasses and sins (Ephesians 2:1-3) and, in our natural state, in rebellion against God (Galatians 5:19-21). The truth is that sin has conquered the entire Human race (Romans 3:9-20, 23) and the wages or payment for sin is death (Romans 6:23). Sin, by definition, is anything that does not conform to the holy character of God as expressed in his moral law.
Take a moment to examine yourself in the mirror of God’s law.
1. You shall have no other gods before Me Have you always loved the God of the Bible more than anyone or anything else?
2. You shall not make yourself an idol. Have you worshiped a false god like Allah (the moon god of Islam)? Followed the vain philosophies of Buddha, Krishna, or Oprah? Believed that you are saved through good works like attending a specific church or a temple? Have you ever said that God forgives everybody, or that God would never send anybody to hell? Then you have made an idol, a god that you feel comfortable with. That is idolatry, just like worshiping a statue.
3. You shall not take God’s name in vain. Have you ever used God’s holy Name as a cuss word- like ‘oh my G-d’ or ‘G-d damn’ Have you called yourself a Christian and behaved like a child of the devil? Then you have used God’s name in vain. Matthew 12:36-37 warns that God will hold you accountable for every careless word you speak.
4.Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy. Many people take a day off to honor themselves with no thought of the God that gave them life. Sunday is just another day of pleasure or relaxation or kid’s sports with no thought of God.
5. Honor your father and mother. God has warned us that a sign of a depraved and sinful mind is the dishonoring of parents (Romans 1:28-32)
6. You shall not murder. Just because you have not killed anybody does not let you off the hook. God knows the thoughts and intents of your heart. God considers hatred to be as murder (1 John 3:15)
7. You shall not commit adultery. Even if you have never had sex with another person’s spouse, you can be guilty. Remember, God sees the heart. He sees viewing pornography, fornication (sex before marriage) and other forms of sexual desire as adultery (See Matthew 5:27, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10)
8.You shall not steal. Have you ever stolen anything? Time from your employer? Made Illegal copies of movies, software, or music? Answers off a test? If you have you are a thief in the eyes of God.
9. You shall not lie. The average person tells 4 lies per day. Thats 88,000 lies in a lifetime. In God’s eyes, one lie makes you a liar. And God hates lying lips (Proverbs 12:22)
10. You shall not covet. The whole world economic system is based upon wanting something more or better than what you have. This is the lust of the eyes, and it is condemned by God.
How is that for truth? Not what you wanted to hear, I imagine.
But here is something worse, and far more terrible. The truth about God is this: He is a holy and righteous judge, angry with the wicked every day. (Psalm 7:11) Your sins are piling up before him, and you are storing up wrath for the day of judgment (Romans 2:5-6) when He will render to each one according to his works. He has promised that the wage or payment for sin is death (Romans 6:23).
Imagine this: the wrath of a holy, righteous, eternal God abiding on you (John 3:36). His wrath and anger is pointed right at you (Psalm 7:12) and on the day that you die you will be judged (Hebrews 9:27).
Judgment means eternity in the lake of fire (Revelation 21:8) It is a fearful things to fall into the hands of the living God (Hebrews 10:31).
Are you a bit concerned or fearful about this truth? Good! it should concern you and frighten you that you are living in rebellion against a holy God who will judge you for that rebellion. You deserve death for the very first sin that you commit against God. But God is rich in mercy (Ephesians 2:5) and it is his kindness that ought to lead you to repentance (Romans 2:4). The evidence of his kindness is that he sent forth his One and Only Son Jesus Christ to pay the penalty for your sins.
The truth about Jesus Christ is that He is fully God (John 1:1) who was made flesh (John 1:14, Galatians 4:4) and dwelt among us. He came for the purpose of seeking and saving that which was lost (Luke 19:10). As a human being, He was temped in every way such as we are, but without sin (Hebrews 4:15). So that He could die for that sin as a substitute for us. But He did more than that; he suffered the wrath of God on our behalf on the cross (2 Corinthians 5:21). God poured out his eternal wrath on Jesus for your sin. Jesus could withstand it only because he was fully God. Jesus suffered as he walked this earth, was punished brutally by the Romans, hung on a cross to die, suffered the wrath of God for sin while on that cross, paying the penalty for your sin (Hebrews 2:17, 13:12). God resurrected Him on the third day, and He is at the right hand of the Father as proof that God accepted His sacrifice on our behalf (Hebrews 7:26-28, 8:1).
As you have read this truth, you may be asking yourself what must I do? (Acts 2:37-38). The Bible is clear: You must repent (change of mind followed by a change of direction) of your sins and place your trust in Christ. Look at it this way: You are now walking in your own direction, in sin and rebellion against God. You now realize that this way ends in death. You must change your mind about your self (I am a sinner, in rebellion against God) then about God (God is holy, righteous, just, and merciful) and choose His Way- (John 14:6)-Jesus Christ. In repenting, you no longer trust your way, you trust alone in Jesus Christ for your salvation from sins. In doing so, His shed blood atones for your sins- past, present, and future. You are made righteous in His sight, and can now walk according to His ways, bearing fruit for Him (Galatians 5:22) If you are able to do this by faith, then by the power of the Holy Spirit, you are born again (John 3:3) have passed from death to life, and are a new creation in Christ (Ephesians 2:10, 2 Corinthians 5:17).
It is the Gospel truth, the best news ever.
Can you handle the Truth?